2018-08-23 – VK3/VE-073 Mt Timbertop
2018-08-24 – VK3/VE-123
I had the week off for a planned trip to Deal Island. The plan was to charter a boat for drop off and pickup spending the weekend on the island. Always weather dependent keeping an eye on forecasts for the return trip as did want a Gilligan’s Island situation.
This was cancelled (re-scheduled) due to the rough conditions.
I had the leave booked so decided to head up to into the Alpine NP for an overnight trip anyway.
I wanted to checkout the conditions in preparation for an upcoming hike out to The Governor. I have all-ready activated most of the summits in this area and those left have serious access considerations. This trip was to see the snow lines so given road closures and being winter did not expect to gain deep access. Anyway headed up Thursday morning intending to pickup Mt Timbertop on the way in.
VK3/VE-073 Mt Timbertop
Arrived late in the afternoon with enough time to walk up, activate and safety get back. The track is in great condition. I was expecting light snow so dressed to be wet. Key will be to be past the snow for the walk out as will be in dark. Not a but risk just needed buffer in case of issues. Parked at the bottom and headed up. Activated in the ‘clearing’ just below the peak. Well in the AZ and room to rolled out the 80m antenna. 80m is compulsory these days to ensure local contacts. For this activation I used 80 SSB and comfortably qualified. This summit is worth the walk for the views. On sunset the red sky was reflecting off the snow and provided an eerie view.
Drove in and camped at Eight Mile Flat as this site in in the Alpine National Park.
Progresses down Brooks Rd. There were trees and rocks on the road. The trees had been cut and I move some rocks but got to a point where a new tree brought my plans to a stop. I could see snow on the ridge lines so not too fussed. It was a beautiful clear crisp day and worth the drive out any way.
Decided not to proceed out to Eagle Peaks. I have been before so know there is a track but the last 200m is a rock scramble. Given the snow though not a risk worth taking. Access also removed Rocky Ridge and The Bluff from my agenda. Never really though the Bluff was an option. So headed back to pickup VK3/VE-123.
Parked Subie at the base of Three Chain Track. It was wet and the first section torn up so not an option. There was patches of snow in corners so must of been low heavy snow recently but the track clear, just muddy. It is an easy walk with great views.
Both these sites are worth consideration as clear access even in harsh weather. Mt Timbertop also qualifies for the seasonal 3 point bonus.